Sunday, August 9, 2020

A Saturday When You Have Stuff To Do

I kinda worry about Saturday after work. There really is nothing to do, so I generally drink. Yesterday I didn't. I actually started my Sunday stuff. I started listening to the book on the Spanish flu of 1918. Holy cow is that super interesting. 

You can see even back then how public health and politics don't really mix. Especially during war time. Something so simple as canceling a parade is like pulling teeth. In philly a parade in 1918 was not cancelled. There were dire warnings from the knowledgeable about public health. The parade went on with disastrous results. 

Crowds are bad for this type of pandemic. Politics hasn't made us much smarter 100+ years later. During our pandemic we are lucky it only affects the older people to such a degree. The flu of 1918 took the younger generation too. Sometimes very quickly. Like in a day. 

Anyway I found it to be interesting. I still have 8 hours left of the 19 hour book, so I couldn't stop listening. It made me realize how stupid politics, and politicians are. It made me realize how little we can trust the shit coming out of politicians mouths. Also it made me realize how stupid War is. 

I definitely gained an appreciation for the lab rats. The pioneers who changed medicine from leeches to science based research. Those who changed the medical profession from HS graduates who listened to 9 lectures to become a doctor to actually people who are well trained. You may think it is the Harvards and Yales that were the front runners in changing things, but actually they were backward ass as we would call them these days. It was the startup John Hopkins that led the revolution kinda, and later on John D. Rockefeller added his money to the arena. We were far behind Europe as far as medicine, and the study of health things, but were able to catch up. 

Anyway it is pretty interesting. I kinda wished I did lab work for my income. I know I know it is tedious, but it seemed interesting. Obviously I can be enamored with data. 

So, what I did yesterday was some of my typical Sunday stuff. My flu book made me realize how much I liked learning. Audible had a 2 for 1 sale,  so I got a great courses book on Russian history. Also one on biology. In my  younger years when I was consuming every history book I got my hands on, I fancied myself wanting to be an expert on Russian history.  I don't know why. To me the greatest thing one could do was to learn history. Up until I read the history of the us by Howard Zinn. Then I realized the history books are full of shit. 

So many goddamn heroes out there,  and my true learning tells me there are no heroes. 

What I took from yesterday is my disgust with the absolute ignorance of politicians during a global pandemic. They actually make matters worse. By pretending everything is normal. The US is a perfect example of how politicians should NOT act during a pandemic. We definitely didn't learn our lessons of 1918.  We didn't even have a war. The amount of travel the World does on a regular basis makes the war unnecessary for the virus to do maximum damage. 

Anyway the same holds true today as it did back then. Crowds are bad.  Viruses can stay active on a door knob for a couple days. Hand to knob, hand to face can make the transfer. Shaking hands etc...   it is airborn. Sneeze, cough etc...   is bad uncovered. 

Everybody wants normal,  but during a pandemic facing the actual truth will have a better effect than saying the worst is past and shit like that. 

I learned a lot yesterday. I learned I was pretty ignorant before about these types of things. 

Anyway, I spose.  

Laterzzzzzzzz.      :)

xoxo.      :)

xxoo.      :)

Byeeeeeeeee.         :)))

No comments: