Sunday, May 2, 2010

DANG!!! Racing is Hard

Zapped all my energy out that one did.  I was tired when I came home, and decided to sit outside all day.  I had so much I wanted to do, and so little I did do.  Had a good race though, so today maybe I'll get some stuff done.  :)

Hold on a second, I am going to get some coffee.  Might as well start this day right. 

Sorry to make you wait,  I know how you hang on my every word, but coffee is coffee.

 Okay so here it is.  I still needed a semi-long run on this day, so I did close to a 4 mile loop, it ended up being 3.8 something miles.  I was amped up a bit for the race, as I did the loop @ 8:16 pace.  Then I wait for the 5-miler.  I don't get nervous for races, as I always have a plan.  My plan is a pace not a victory, that is for sure.  Very little pressure on me. 

Off we go.  I think the mile markers were a bit messed up, but I'll give you my times on them.  It may have only been the 4th mile marker that was out of whack.  I hit mile 1 in 7:24'ish.  That was the only uphill, and it really is just a little incline.  It is what we run in the winter, so I know it well.  Mile 2 I hit at 14:50' something.  I am on pace.  I am pretty confident of  my pace, so no pressure added.  I realize I still have 3 miles left though, and am putting in a pretty good effort....  if you know what I mean.   :)

Mile 3 I hit at 21:50 something.  See  the mile markers are weird.  Mile 4 I hit at 30:30 or something like that.  I am like Oh No!!  Going to get my time.  I pick up the pace, I am going to hit my time.  As I make the final turn, and realize I have maybe 1/4 mile left or so, I look at my clock, and realize I am golden.  I will hit my time.  I cross the line 36:56.  That comes out to 7:25s.  I am happy!!!  A 2:40 something P.R. on a 5 mile race....4.97 to be exact. 

What I learned from this race is a 2 hour Riverbank is probably not going to happen.  7:25s on a easy course was pretty hard for me.  Low 8:00's is what I'll shoot for, not sure what that will put me at, but I assume low 2 hours. I'll shoot for 2:05.  that will still be an 8 minute P.R. off my 2 week old P.R.  :)

8K's are hard races!!!  Short enough to go fast, but long enough to hurt.  I can't wait to start my training for the Diemer  5K.  That sucker is going down.  I'll be nervous for that race, cause that is one I will try to win.  Ha Ha!!  Just kidding.  The winners will be 7 minutes or so quicker than me.  :)

Wish you all were having a great weekend, but know not all are.  :(

xo's   :)

3 comments:

My Change Through Running said...

wow! Thats super fast! :-)

Beth said...

Congrats again Steve!! PRs galore this year! :)

~L said...

Cheers on a great race and PR's! Will you please post a list of future races with locations and times so I can cheer you on in person? Gina gave me the idea to bring a sign :)

Hello Lisa...glad you enjoyed your outdoor nap...best way.

<3 L