Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Am So Smart Aren't I???

I had my plan.  I was going to stick with it. Ummmm, when it is humid out, throw everything out the window.  What I learned yesterday is if you go out a little too fast on a humid day you cannot recover.  I know when it is cool out I can tweak my pace a little down to recover pretty quickly, or tweak it up a bit if things seem easy.  When it is humid out there is no recovery.  I kept trying to tweak it down-down-down .  No recovery in sight. 

My first mile was 6:58.  It didn't feel too bad, but I wanted to feel better at mile two, so I started tweaking my pace down.  I never started feeling that much better.  I hit mile 2 at 14:21.  :).  I still didn't feel all that great.  I kept tweaking down, because I knew the course had a 1/2 mile straight away, and I wanted to push hard there.  No recovery at all.  I pushed the last 1/2 mile, because I honestly wasn't sure if I could hit sub 22:00 or not.  When I saw my clock hit 22:00 I slowed down for a bit, and then sped up again and finished it.  22:19 was my official time.  My alias was Mike Harju.  He's got some work to do if he wants to P.R. a 5K now.  :)

I ran with Mike, who's alias was Dan B.  I'll save that name to protect the innocent.  Mike did great.  A sub 9:00 pace, which is slow for him, but his "running" training is off this year due to Hockey, work, injury.... you name it.  I think that was a hell of a race for him all things considered. 

I learned something about racing in humidity.  It sucks!!!  I did the best I could for the conditions given.  Not too disappointed at all.  It is just a race anyway right??  I napped a bit after my 5K which means the effort was definitely there.  Then I had a lazy day of watching Soccer, and the Sox beat the Cubs again.  U.S. tied England in soccer.  I think we outplayed them, but they are a dangerous team.  They can counter quickly.  Rooney was non-existent, and their goalie let in a softie.  :)

That is it!!!  Pretty fun day for me!!!  :)

Hope everyone has a great and awesome day!!!  :)

xo's  :)

Love you all!!!  :)

No comments: