Monday, March 8, 2010

50!!!

March 7, 2010 I got  my first 50 miler of the season in.  I am a different person now than what I was a year ago.  One year ago 50 miles would have been a milestone for my "biking" season.  My season was typically just biking to work, and some 16 mile time trials on non-running days.  Now I enjoy being outside, and going long on my bike.  It was work at times, but it seems once I made my turnaround the weather was getting warmer, and I was feeling better.  When you want to do 50 there is no better feeling then hitting 40.  :)


Let me just mention my route.  There is a lot of turns, and a lot of mini-destinations which help break up the riding.  I started and did a 10 mile loop by my house.  I then went to the North side and dropped off a check to my friend Dan who signed me up as a "ringer" for the final two races of the Corporate Triple Crown.  :)  Just kidding about the ringer part.  I then headed to Lake Shore, 1/2 block away, and rode the same route I ran yesterday.  At the turnaround I was over 25 miles, so I knew I was golden once I re-traced my steps.  I was pretty excited I finished my 50, and was going to yell it from the top of my FB lungs, but all of a sudden got shy.  Weird!! 

I was able to take the puppies for a short 1.25 mile walk.  I am amazed how quickly the legs recover after a bike ride.  When I got off the bike I thought I was done.  I took a shower, and the legs felt much better.  I sat outside for another hour or so, and then headed back in.

One thought I had yesterday is I dream big, but take baby steps.  I have big goals, and as I look at them from a distance,  I doubt they are achievable.  You know a marathon is 16+10+.  That 10 + is just a series of little 1 and 2 milers that keep getting knocked off.    If looked at as a whole it sure seems daunting, but when you start knocking off the baby steps it is amazing how it works out.  I may not hit my goals, but I am sure going to have a good time working towards them right?  I think I will anyway.

Here are my goals.  I want to break 22:00 in a 5K.  I don't know if it will be the one coming up.  I bet for sure it will be the one after the Riverbank run.  I will have time to do some track work in between training seasons.  400's!!  I have a super secret marathon goal, that seems unachievable right now, but you never know.  I definitely would like to P.R. at the very least.  

I guess that is it for today.  I don't want to write too much. :)

Hope you have a great week. 

1 comment:

Beth said...

50 is awesome!! 50 is a lot. Great job Steve!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Can't wait to see you acheive all your goals this year!